Hospital acquired infections are one of the largest complications of medical care today, affecting 5-10% of inpatients annually in the United States, and resulting in approximately 90,000 fatalities. Common hospital acquired infection sites are surgical, bloodstream, ventilator-associated pneumonias, and catheter-associated urinary tract infections. However, recent statistics indicate that the patient rooms are also a critical site for infections.
- 75% of patient rooms are contaminated with MRSA and VRE, found on cabinets, counter tops, and bed siderails.
- 42% of the time nurses gloves are contaminated when leaving a MRSA patient's room even though they had no patient contact, but touched objects in the room.
- $15,275 is the average additional cost for a patient contracting an infection.
CHG Hospital Beds Commitment to Infection Control
CHG Hospital Beds understands the critical importance of taking preventative measures against the spread of bacteria and infection in your hospitals. To assist your hospital with infection control initiatives, CHG Hospital Beds offers education on infection control at the bedside. Our program includes:
- Educating staff on the importance of antibacterial surfaces, and how antibacterial surfaces can safeguard you against the spread of bacteria in your hospital. In the event that your standard bed cleaning protocols are missed, we want to make sure that your patients are still protected.
- Discussing the benefits of non-metal mattress platforms in minimizing the spread of bacteria. Metal mattress platforms do not adapt well to the constant temperature fluctuations that occur in mattresses. This can cause moisture to build up between the mattress and the mattress platform, initiating bacteria growth.
- Training staff on how to utilize the features of CHG Hospital Beds low beds to make cleaning procedures more efficient. All of our beds have been designed to make cleaning easier and faster. Features such as a detachable mattress deck, open architecture, and a scissor leg frame, assist staff in infection control protocols.